1) Eat a cup of vanilla ice cream or drink a glass of cold milk to get rid of acidity. This is an easy Home Remedy for Acidity.
2) Raita prepared with fresh curd, grated cucumber, fresh coriander, tomato is a sure shot remedy in aiding digestion, and helps eliminate acidity.
3) Mint: Fresh mint juice taken every day or fresh mint leaves boiled in a cup of water and sipped slowly after meals also helps to keep the stomach acids at bay
4) Mint juice before meals keeps acidity at bay. This is another good Home Remedy for Acidity.
5) Chewing 5-6 basil leaves relieves flatulence and acidity.
6) Half a glass of fresh pineapple juice should be taken after a meal for treating and preventing acidity
7) A piece of jaggery or gur after lunch and dinner prevents acidity
8) A very simple remedy for acidity is thin butter-milk mixed with 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper powder
9) One of the common Home Remedies for Acidity - Onion (pyaz): The juice of onions is an excellent remedy for acidity.
10) Habitual eating habits and a healthy diet can prevent acidity
11) Drink plenty of water (at least 6 to 8 glasses per day) and other fluids to maintain the acid balance in the stomach
12) A sherbet made with kokum and jeera gives relief from acidity.
13) Lemon rind can also be eaten to prevent heartburn
14) A glass of cold milk provides instant relief. This is an effective Home Remedy for Acidity.
15) Eat almonds to give relief to symptoms of acidity
16) Chew a few holy basil (tulsi ) leaves to get relief
17) Bananas, watermelon and cucumber have protective action against the acidity and heart burn
18) Lemon: Juice of one lemon mixed in half glass of water and ½ teaspoon sugar if consumed before meals helps to relieve acidity
19) When suffering from acidity, drink five to eight glass of coconut water a day. This is another effective Home Remedy for Acidity.
Some Foods to Avoid for Heartburn
There are many foods that are commonly known to cause acid in the stomach and heartburn. These are citrus fruits, tomatoes, fatty foods such as pork chops, deep fried meat, or potatoes, aerated cold drinks, coffee, hot milk and so on. These are just some of the foods one should avoid for heartburn as consuming any of these in excess can cause acute discomfort.
However, not all the items named above react in the same way on everyone. People have different reactions to different stimulants and hence, one will need to carefully watch and identify which foods cause the greatest harm. Once you have a list, eliminate those foods from your diet to the extent possible. For example if you find that hot milk causes acute heartburn, then either stop having it altogether, or have it at room temperature or ice cold.
Similarly, with fatty foods - either totally stop having them or have a Tums right before or after the meal which will neutralize the excess acid formed in the stomach.